- Trade Marks
- Business Name Protection
- Competition Law and Consumer Protection Law
- Domain Name Protection & Disputes
- New Zealand Trade Mark Services
- Pacific Island Trade Mark Protection
- Trade Mark Infringement & Enforcement
- Trade Mark Portfolio Management & Renewals
- Trade Mark Registration
- Trade Mark Searching
Cheryl has extensive experience in the full breadth of trade mark matters and associated legal issues and disputes, specialising in the prosecution of trade mark applications and the conduct of opposition proceedings.
She regularly helps clients determine whether a potential brand name is available for use in the Australian marketplace and registration on the Australian Trade Mark Register. Thereafter, she advises clients on the filing strategies in Australia and overseas to ensure that her clients obtain strong and broad protection for their brand name.
She also assists clients in the enforcement of their trade mark rights, in particular, in the areas of trade mark infringement, related Australian Consumer Law actions and the common law action of passing off.
Cheryl has a particular interest in assisting new business owners clear, register and enforce their new business name, brand name or service/product names and thereafter manages their international filing programs in preparation for expansion into overseas markets.
She also specialises in online branding issues including domain name disputes such as abusive domain name registrations.
Cheryl has professional experience in-house having worked as legal counsel on secondment for a major Australian telecommunication company.
Cheryl regularly presents workshops to new business owners on trade mark matters, including online branding issues.
Prior to joining Davies Collison Cave in 2007, Cheryl spent two years with an intellectual property law firm in Osaka, Japan where she advised foreign clients on Japanese trademark law and practice.
Cheryl is a prize winning graduate of the University of Melbourne’s internationally recognised Master of Intellectual Property Law, winning the Pinkerton Scholarship for being the top student in International Issues in Intellectual Property Law. She also has a Honours degree of Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice from Flinders University.
- Member: Institute of Patent and Trade Marks Attorneys of Australia
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: Law Institute of Victoria
- Registered: Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)
- Admitted: Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of South Australia
- Master of Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice (Honours), Flinders University
- Bachelor of International Studies, Flinders University
- Diploma of Business (Frontline Management), Insight International Consultancy