Edith’s professional activities focus upon technology at the interface of chemistry and engineering. She specialises in patent prosecution in the areas of advanced materials production and processing, fibre and textile technology, industrial chemistry, process engineering, oil and gas, clean technology, and mining technology, including explosives and blasting technology. She has particular experience in complex patent opposition matters, and is also involved with patent drafting, patent infringement and related opinion work.
Edith has conducted research in a range of materials science areas, including wood photostabilisation and advanced polymer processing, and her engineering background is in materials and mechanical systems. Her engineering honours project related to the characterisation of thermoplastic toughened resin systems for use in fibre-based composites.
During her Master of Philosophy studies, Edith examined the use of electrospinning for manufacturing ultra-fine polymer fibres. She gained further fibre and textile technology experience while investigating polyurethane nanocomposite fibre production with the University of Queensland as part of a collaborative project with the CSIRO. She then moved to Japan for 12 months, and during that time worked as an English Document Reviewer at a Japanese patent law firm, before returning to Australia to join Davies Collison Cave.
Edith is the Vice President of the Victorian Branch of Materials Australia.
- Certified Materials Professional: Materials Australia
- Associate Member: Australian Institute of Energy
- Associate Member: Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Ordinary Member: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Member: Licensing Executives Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.), Australian National University
- Bachelor of Science, Australian National University
- Master Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
- Master of Philosophy (Engineering), Australian National University
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)