Ian is a Principal in the Trade Mark Group. His areas of practice encompass all aspects of trade mark searching and clearance for use, registration, oppositions and advice in relation to trade mark enforcement internationally. He has handled trade mark matters in most countries worldwide, including directly before the Australian, United Kingdom, European Community Trade Mark, New Zealand and Pacific Island Trade Marks Offices. Ian represents both local and international clients with business interests in a wide range of industries and has a thriving practice in all aspects of prosecution and protection of trade mark rights.
He also has particular expertise in the system for International Registration of Trade Marks and is a co-author of the International Registration section of Lahore: Patent, Trade Mark and Related Rights.
- World Trademark Review 1000: listed as a leading individual for Trade Mark prosecution and strategy, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017
- Asia IP Experts: Leading lawyer in Trade Marks, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017
- International Who’s Who of Trade Mark Lawyers: listed a leading Trade Mark practitioner, 2015 & 2016
- Expert Guides – Trade Mark Lawyers: Nominated as being among the World’s Leading Trade Mark Law Practitioners, 2016 & 2018
- Affiliate Member (by examination): Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (United Kingdom).
- Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys.
- Committee Member: INTA Bulletins Committee for Law and Practice.
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand.
- Member: International Trade Mark Association.
- Member: Law Institute of Victoria.
- Member: American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University.
- Bachelor of Economics, Australian National University.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Deakin University
- Master of Intellectual Property Law (with Merit), Australian National University
- Registered Australian Trade Marks Attorney.