- Building and Construction
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Engineering and Manufacturing
- ICT & Software
- Clean Technology and Energy
- Medical Devices & Technologies
- Design Infringement & Enforcement
- Innovation Patents
- IP Portfolio Management and Maintenance
- Design Registration
- New Zealand Patent Services
- Patent Drafting, Filing & Prosecution
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Oppositions
- Patent Registration Services - South Pacific Region
- Patent Searching
Jack is a registered patent attorney at Davies Collison Cave where he is involved in preparing, filing and prosecuting patent and registered design applications, formulating patent and registered design infringement and validity opinions, and oppositions in mechanical engineering and related disciplines, with over 9 years experience in the field of intellectual property. Jack also brings a commercially-astute approach to his patent attorney practice as he has a Master’s degree in the field of commercialising high-tech ventures and has also worked as a business strategist and mentor for a number of years.
Prior to joining Davies Collison Cave, Jack worked for a premier New Zealand intellectual property law firm for over four years, where he worked with clients across a diverse range of technology fields, including mechanical and electrical engineering, medical devices and embedded systems. Jack’s career began as a business strategist at an IP strategy firm, where he worked closely with private and public sector clients in providing strategic intellectual property advice to enable clients identify, assess and deliver innovative technologies to market. Jack helped a number of clients achieve profitable commercial outcomes and became a Principal consultant only two years after joining the firm. Jack also spent his free time to be a judge and mentor for a well-known business case competition run by the University of Auckland Business School for many years. Jack was also a member of the Fisher & Paykel Appliances’ product development team in New Zealand.
Jack is a native Chinese Mandarin speaker and regularly advises clients in relation to the latest legal developments and IP strategies available in China. Jack has also presented seminars on intellectual property to Chinese law firms, clients and government authorities such as the State Administration for Industry and Commerce (SAIC) in China.
Jack graduated from the University of Auckland in 2008 with a Bachelor of Engineering specialising in Mechatronics, and a Bachelor of Commerce double majoring in Law and Economics and International Business. Jack completed a Master of Commercialisation and Entrepreneurship from the University of Auckland Business School in 2014, where he was awarded the prestigious Beta Gamma Sigma International Honors. Jack also has a keen interest in finance and economics, and has successfully completed level 1 of the renowned Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exams in 2015. Jack became a qualified Australian and New Zealand patent attorney in 2014.
- AACSB Accredited Honors (for Master of Commercialisation and Entrepreneurship), Awarded by the Beta Gamma Sigma International Honors Society (US), 2014
- Council Prize Winner for Foreign IP Law, Awarded by the New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys, 2012
- Council Prize Winner for Best Overall Performance in Patent Attorney Examinations, Awarded by the New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys, 2012
- Business Case Competition Winner, Awarded by the University of Auckland Business School Entrepreneurship Challenge, 2008
- Fellow: New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Lifetime Member: International Honors Society Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS)
- Member: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Committee Member (Victoria): Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Affiliated Member: CFA Institute (US)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechatronics), University of Auckland
- Bachelor of Commerce (Law and Economics, International Business), University of Auckland
- Master of Commercialisation and Entrepreneurship, University of Auckland
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)