Mark specialises in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in the areas of general, organic and pharmaceutical chemistry, pharmacology, nanotechnology and molecular biology, food technology and medical devices. He is experienced in conducting patent oppositions and advising on patent related litigation. He also provides advice on patentability, patent infringement and validity as well as conducting IP audits. Mark’s honours studies were conducted in the field of molecular radiation biology at Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, where he investigated the mechanisms and extent of DNA strand breakage induced by particular radiation sensitising agents. In 1998 Mark spent twelve months in London working in the corporate patent department of GlaxoWellcome, before returning to Davies Collison Cave. Mark is a Fellow of the IPTA Academy of Education and former tutor for its course on patent infringement and validity. Mark joined Davies Collison Cave in 1994 and became a partner in 2002.
Mark has extensive experience in the nanotechnology field having handled matters relating to ballistic laminate materials, colourfast nanopigments, functionalisation of surfaces with biologically active agents and analytical/diagnostic devices utilising multiphoton fluorescence spectroscopy, Raman scattering, molecular motors and micro-fluidics technologies.
Mark has experience in handling matters relating to a range of medical devices including devices for non-invasive measurement of oxygen concentration in deep vascular structures and analytical techniques for determining blood lithium concentration. Mark has also had extensive involvement in litigation relating to drug eluting vascular stents.
Mark is the co-author of the Australian chapter of the Lexis Nexis publication International Pharmaceutical Law and Practice and is a visiting lecturer on patent law at the University of Melbourne.
- Managing Intellectual Property ‘IP Stars’: Ranked highly as an Australian ‘IP Star’, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers: Leading lawyer for Intellectual Property, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2018
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Leading individual for Intellectual Property, 2014
- Australian councillor and treasurer: International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI Australia)
- Fellow and former tutor: IPTA Academy of Education (Infringement and validity of patent specifications)
- Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Member: Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member: AusBiotech Limited
- Member: Australia China Business Council
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Member: Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété (FICPI)
- Member: Licensing Executives Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: IP Australia IP Stakeholders’ Forum
- Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology and Organic Chemistry) (Hons.), University of Melbourne
- Registered Patent and Trade Marks Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)