- Commercialisation and Licensing
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Pharmaceuticals & Chemistry
- Agribusiness, Food and Nutrition
- Mining and Resources
- Medical Devices & Technologies
- Engineering and Manufacturing
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Oppositions
- Competition Law and Consumer Protection Law
- Confidential Information
- Design Infringement & Enforcement
Paul heads up Davies Collison Cave’s Sydney patent litigation practice group and practises predominantly in the NSW registry of the Federal Court of Australia.
In addition to having the conduct of patent trials (both at first instance and on appeal) Paul has had the conduct of preliminary discovery and inspection applications as well as numerous interlocutory applications such as injunction applications and applications for the trial of a preliminary question or issue. Paul also has expertise in relation to deposing Australian witnesses for overseas patent trials, pursuant to the Hague Convention.
Paul has particular expertise in relation to pharmaceutical patent litigation and has a detailed understanding of the operation of the ARTG and PBS. In addition, Paul has overseen experimental protocols for the purpose of establishing pharmaceutical patent infringement and is intimately familiar with the applications required to obtain leave to adduce such evidence. Paul’s experience in the pharmaceutical field includes handling matters in relation to the treatment of cancer, API particle size distribution, bone biology and osteoporosis, antibodies, and anti-viral medication.
Paul’s further areas of particular expertise include food technology matters (such as in relation to infant formula, production of cheese, and the use of enzymes in bread) and bulk materials handling matters, such as in relation to ore cars, ore and grain storage and surface wear and impact protection. Paul has also had the conduct of matters in numerous diverse fields ranging from nucleic acid diagnostics to injectable fillers for aesthetic procedures.
Paul has the conduct of numerous opposition and other proceedings before the Commissioner of Patents. Paul also has considerable experience in matters involving the Australian Consumer Law.
Paul practised in the litigation team at Clayton Utz before moving to Ashurst (Blake Dawson) in 2000. Paul was made a Senior Associate at Ashurst in 2004. Paul joined Wrays in 2009 where he was a Principal and Director of Wrays Lawyers. Paul joined DCC in 2014 as a Partner.
- IAM Patent 1000 Guide: Recommended as a leading individual for patent litigation: 2016 – 2018
- Doyle’s Guide: Recommended as a Leading Patent Litigation Lawyer (WA/NSW/Australia): 2014 – 2018
- Asialaw: Recommended as a Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer: 2018
- Member: IPSANZ
- Member: Law Society of WA
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia
- Master of Laws, University of Melbourne