Richard is ranked as one of Australia’s leading intellectual property experts. He joined the firm as a partner in 1990 and was the firm’s senior litigation partner until he retired from the partnership on 30 June 2011. He is still actively practising in the firm as a Consultant. He has had more than 33 years of experience in all types and aspects of IP litigation (including biotechnology litigation), IP dispute resolution and associated advice matters and has conducted a number of leading cases in Australia.
Richard’s extensive patent litigation experience encompasses a very broad range of technical disciplines. However, as a result of his particular technical background, he has a special interest in the Life Sciences field and, in particular, in pharmaceutical, biotechnological and chemical patent litigation matters. He has acted for many major international and Australian corporations in such matters before the Federal Court of Australia as well as before the Victorian and New South Wales Supreme Courts. He also has considerable experience in appeals to the Federal Court from Patent Office decisions, and in appeals to the High Court. In addition, he has represented parties in intellectual property disputes before administrative tribunals including the Australian Patents Office and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Richard is highly computer-literate and has considerable expertise in the use of litigation support software and the techniques necessary for the management of complex multi-party, multi-jurisdictional IP litigation.
Notwithstanding Richard’s focus on litigation in the Life Sciences field, his litigation experience extends well beyond patent litigation. He also has considerable experience in other IP litigation and dispute resolution including matters involving Plant Breeders’ Rights, registered designs, trade marks, copyright, confidential information, unfair competition and restrictive trade practices.
Richard also has considerable experience in the conduct and resolution of disputes relating to administrative decisions, not only in the IP area, but also in connection with regulatory approvals for therapeutic substances and devices and the review of such decisions in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and the Federal Court.
Richard is the author of various papers on patent and litigation matters and a frequent presenter at national and international IP conferences and seminars.
- Best Lawyers Australia Melbourne Biotechnology Law “Lawyer of the Year” 2016
- Managing Intellectual Property ‘IP Stars’: Ranked highly as an Australian ‘IP Star’, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- IAM Patent 1000: recommended as one of the world’s leading Patent Practitioners, and one of Australia’s “IP Elder Statesmen”,2013 & 2014
- IAM Patent 1000 Guide “The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners”: Accredited as Australia’s luminary individual, 2015 & 2016
- Best Lawyers Australia: Ranked Highly for Biotechnology Law and Intellectual Property Law, 2009 – 2017
- Australasia Legal Business Guide to IP Law: Leading lawyer
- Asia IP Experts: Leading Lawyer for patents, 2013. Leading lawyer for patents, pharma and biotech, 2015
- Asialaw Leading Lawyer: voted one of the most highly acclaimed commercial lawyers in the Asia-Pacific region, 2012
- WHO’S WHO LEGAL Patents: Considered a “leading practitioner in patent litigation”, 2013, 2017
- Guide to the World’s Leading Patent Law Practitioners 2013 & 2015-2016
- Doyles Guide: Recommended as a Leading Australian IP lawyer and a Leading Victorian IP lawyer, 2012; recommended as a Victorian Patent Litigation Lawyer, 2016
- PLC Which Lawyer – Yearbook 2011: highly recommended individual in “IP: patent litigation” and “Life Sciences: patent litigation”
- Member and Past Chair: Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Committee of the International Bar Association
- Member and Past Chair: Intellectual Property Committee of the Law Council of Australia (Business Law Section)
- Member: American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member: Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Member: International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Member: Licensing Executives Society
- Academically trained Mediator (Harvard Law School)
- Admitted to practice: Supreme Courts of Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia and Western Australia: Federal and High Courts
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Science, University of Melbourne
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)