Davies Collison Cave has the largest Life Sciences practice with the most experienced operators. The team of biotechnology specialists provides expert advice and assistance in protecting IP in the highly competitive field of biotechnology innovation.
The team provides a full range of IP services including patents, designs and trade marks as well as those areas of critical importance to the biotechnology industry. Including advice on freedom-to-operate, assistance for start-up companies and SME’s, licensing, tech transfer, biosimilars and patent term extensions. The firm also acts for research organisations and universities.
The IP services provided by our team include:
- Patent drafting and prosecution around the world
- Patent portfolio planning and analysis
- Freedom-to-operate searching and advice
- Advice on strategic management of ip (including freedom-to-operate, non-infringement, validity and patentability opinions)
- Analysis of competitor and other third party positions (evaluation, acquisition and exploitation of technology)
- Advice and support in obtaining extensions of term of biotechnology patents
- Monitoring competitor activity
- Patent opposition, litigation and mediation
- Advice and support in obtaining plant breeders rights
- Advice and support in obtaining registered designs
- Trade mark searching and registrations.
Our biotechnology specialists, most of whom hold higher degrees and have relevant industry and postdoctoral experience, have extensive expertise in areas including:
- Animal and Human Health Products
- Animal, Microbial and Plant Physiology and Biochemistry
- Food Technology and Nutritionals
- Genetic Engineering
- Gene Therapy
- Molecular Biology
- Natural Products
- Plant Protection and Plant Products
- Stem Cell Biology
Supporting our Life Sciences team, DCC has Chemistry/Materials Science and Medical Device teams, with expertise in life science related technologies such as medical devices, diagnostics, nanotechnology, biomaterials, bioengineering and clean technology.
Our trade mark and commercial lawyers are experts at identifying and protecting distinctive branding, and drafting appropriate commercial agreements and contracts to ensure IP is secure.
Biotechnology IP Litigation
We have one of the largest specialist IP litigation groups in Australia, providing us with a substantial team of lawyers. Our Biotechnology IP litigation team is highly experienced in all aspects of national and multi-jurisdictional patent litigation, opposition procedures and regulatory authority decisions, and alternative dispute resolution in the life science industry sector.