Davies Collison Cave has the largest and most experienced Life Sciences practice in Australia. Our team of experienced biotechnology specialists provides expert advice and assistance in protecting IP in the highly competitive field of biotechnology innovation.
Our team is experienced in providing a full range of IP services including patents, designs and trade marks as well as those areas of critical importance to the biotechnology industry such as advice on freedom-to-operate, start-up companies, licensing, tech transfer, biosimilars and patent term extensions.
The IP services provided by our team include:
- Patent drafting and prosecution around the world
- Patent portfolio planning and analysis
- Freedom-to-operate searching and advice
- Advice on strategic management of ip (including freedom-to-operate, non-infringement, validity and patentability opinions)
- Analysis of competitor and other third party positions (evaluation, acquisition and exploitation of technology)
- Advice and support in obtaining extensions of term of biotechnology patents
- Monitoring competitor activity
- Patent opposition, litigation and mediation
- Advice and support in obtaining Plant Breeder’s Rights
- Advice and support in obtaining registered designs
- Trade mark searching and registrations
Our biotechnology specialists, most of whom hold higher degrees and have relevant industry and postdoctoral experience, have extensive expertise in areas including:
- Animal and Human Health Products
- Animal, Microbial and Plant Physiology and Biochemistry
- Food Technology and Nutritionals
- Genetic Engineering
- Gene Therapy
- Molecular Biology
- Natural Products
- Plant Protection and Plant Products
- Stem Cell Biology
Supporting our Life Sciences team, DCC has Chemistry/Materials Science and Medical Device teams, with expertise in life science related technologies such as clean technology, nanotechnology, biomaterials, diagnostics and bioengineering.
Our trade mark and commercial lawyers are experts at identifying and protecting your distinctive branding and drafting appropriate commercial agreements and contracts to ensure your IP is secure.
Biotechnology IP Litigation
We have one of the largest specialist IP litigation groups in Australia providing us with a substantial pool of lawyers to select from. Our Biotechnology IP litigation team is highly experienced in all aspects of national and multi-jurisdictional patent litigation, challenges to IP Australia and regulatory authority decisions, and alternative dispute resolution in the life science industry sector.