Official language: Khmer
Population: 15.5 million (2015)
Economic snapshot: Open market system and rapidly growing economy
IP snapshot: Able to obtain patents based on granted Singapore patents
STRUCTURE OF ECONOMY:
Garment and footwear industry, Agriculture (corn, cassava, sweet potatoes, soybean, rubber, sesame seeds), Mining (bauxite, gold, iron and gem stones), Tourism, Gaming industry, Construction, Oil seeps.
Paris convention, TRIPS Agreement, Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) as of 8 December, 2016.
TYPES OF PATENTS:
Patents of Invention (term: 20 years from filing date).
Filing language – English or Khmer (Khmer translation 6 months from filing English specification), Application form (in Khmer), Notarised Deed of Assignment (if Applicant not inventor – due 2 months from filing), Notarised Power of Attorney (due 2 months from filing), Declaration of Priority (due 2 months from filing).
ASEAN Patent Examination Cooperation (ASPEC).
NON-PATENTABLE SUBJECT MATTER:
- Discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods.
- Methods of treating the human or animal body by therapy or surgery, or diagnostic methods on the human or animal body. Second medical use inventions are patentable.
- Granted Singapore patents can take advantage of the re-registration provision available in Cambodia.
- Plants and animals other than microorganisms, and processes for the generation of plants and animals (other than microorganisms).
- Certain software-related inventions.
- Business methods, schemes, rules, and performing purely mental acts or playing games.