Official language: Lao
Population: 6.8 million (2014)
Economic snapshot: Economy growing at 8% a year
IP snapshot: Signatory to major IP conventions/ agreements
STRUCTURE OF ECONOMY:
Hydroelectric power, Agriculture (coffee, sugar cane, rice, tea, corn, peanuts), Tourism, Beverage (beer).
Paris convention, WIPO Convention, Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT).
TYPES OF PATENTS:
National Patent (term: 20 years from filing date).
National Phase Entry deadline is 30 months, PCT number, Details of Inventors and Applicants, Power of Attorney, Entitlement declaration (if applicant not inventor).
FORMAL REQUIREMENTS AFTER FILING:
Translation of specification (and any amendments) into the Laotian language (90 days from date of application).
- Relying on granted claims of a selected foreign corresponding application.
- ASEAN Patent Examination Cooperation (ASPEC).
NON-PATENTABLE SUBJECT MATTER:
- Scientific rules or theories or mathematics.
- Business plans, regulations or methods.
- Human and animal treatment methods (Second medical use inventions may be patentable).
- Microorganisms and components of natural microorganisms or extracts from plants or animals.
- Biological processes for the production of plants and animals.