Official language: Bahasa Malaysia
Population: 31 million (2014)
Economic snapshot: Third largest economy in Southeast Asia
IP snapshot: 557% increase in local originating filings (2000–2014)
STRUCTURE OF ECONOMY:
Oil and natural gas, Palm oil, Industrial chemicals (stearic acid, acrylic alcohols, etc.), Biotechnology, Electronic goods and components (e.g., automatic data processing machines, telephones, printers and copiers), Photovoltaics, Apparel, Automotive.
Paris convention, Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), WTO member.
TYPES OF PATENTS:
Patents of Invention (term: 20 years from filing date, for applications filed on or after 1 August 2001), Utility Innovation.
National Phase Entry deadline is 30 months.
FORMAL REQUIREMENTS AFTER FILING:
Power of Attorney (can be general).
- Relying on granted claims of a selected foreign corresponding application.
- ASEAN Patent Examination Co-Operation (ASPEC).
- PCT-PPH with JPO.
NON-PATENTABLE SUBJECT MATTER:
- Gene sequences.
- Schemes, discoveries, methods of doing business, scientific theories and mathematical methods.
- Plants or animals and essential biological processes for their production (man made microorganisms are patentable).
- Methods for treating humans or animals and diagnostics. Products used in any such methods may be patentable.