Official language: Thai
Population: 66 million (2014)
Economic snapshot: Second largest economy in Southeast Asia
IP snapshot: 79% increase in local originating filings (2000–2014)
STRUCTURE OF ECONOMY:
Agriculture (forestry, fishing, rice, shrimp, corn, rubber, sugar cane and tapioca), Mining (gypsum), Electronics (hard disk drives), Automotive (pickup trucks), Services (banking, tourism, finance).
Paris convention, Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), Berne Convention.
TYPES OF PATENTS:
Patents of invention (term: 20 years from filing date), Petty patent.
National Phase Entry deadline is 30 months from priority date. Deadline for filing Thai translation is 30 months from priority date.
FORMAL REQUIREMENTS AFTER FILING:
- If applicant is not the inventor, a signed deed of assignment may be submitted 90 days from filing.
- Notarised Power of Attorney form (may be submitted 90 days from filing).
Not published anywhere in the world and not used in Thailand.
- Conforming claims to those of a selected granted foreign corresponding application.
- ASEAN Patent Examination Cooperation (ASPEC).
NON-PATENTABLE SUBJECT MATTER:
- Microorganisms existing in nature and their components.
- Animals, plants and animal and plant extracts (but new plant varieties can be protected under the Protection of New Plant Varieties Act).
- Scientific and mathematical rules and theories.
- Methods of diagnostic, treatment and care of the human or animal body (second medical use and non-medical use inventions exempted).
- Computer programs.