Official language: Vietnamese
Population: 91 million (2014)
Economic snapshot: Fastest growing economy of the world’s emerging economies
IP snapshot: 1332% increase in local originating filings (2000–2014)
STRUCTURE OF ECONOMY:
Small to medium enterprises, Agricultural exporter, Mining (antimony, bauxite, gold, iron, phosphate, tin, zinc), Crude oil exports, Food processing, Textiles, Chemicals and Electrical goods.
Paris convention, Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of IP Rights (TRIPS).
TYPES OF PATENTS:
National Patent (term: 20 years from filing date).
National Phase Entry deadline is 31 months (extendable by 6 months), Translation of the international application (and any amendments) into Vietnamese, PCT number, Applicant and Inventor details.
FORMAL REQUIREMENTS AFTER FILING:
Power of Attorney (can be general)(due 34 months from priority).
- Relying on granted claims of a selected foreign corresponding application.
- ASEAN Patent Examination Cooperation (ASPEC).
NON-PATENTABLE SUBJECT MATTER:
- Business method patents.
- Inventions contrary to the interest of society, public order or harmful to national defence and security.
- Disease prevention, diagnostic and treatment methods for human and animals.
- Processes of essentially biological nature for the production of plants and animals other than microbiological processes.