- Building and Construction
- Clean Technology and Energy
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Engineering and Manufacturing
- ICT & Software
- Medical Devices & Technologies
- Mining and Resources
- Universities and Research
- Innovation Patents
- IP Portfolio Management and Maintenance
- New Zealand Patent Services
- Patent Drafting, Filing & Prosecution
- Patent Oppositions
- Patent Searching
Alistair specialises in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in the areas of physics, computer software, business methods and electronic devices, including their application to the medical, biotechnology and cleantech areas. He is experienced in providing advice on patentability, patent infringement and validity, as well as conducting IP audits and providing strategy advice to start-up companies. Alistair also regularly presents seminars on advising on issues surrounding IP protection, and its role in commercialization.
Alistair’s studies at Cambridge University focused on physics, as well as including aspects of mathematics, chemistry, geology and geophysics. In 1995 Alistair joined Gill Jennings and Every, a London based Patent Attorney firm, where he qualified as a European Patent Attorney and UK Patent Agent. In 2001, Alistair moved to Australia where he joined Davies Collison Cave, becoming a partner in 2008.
Alistair heads up Davies Collison Cave’s medical devices practice group. His experience in the medical device field includes handling matters relating to biomedical engineering, bioinformatics, cardiac monitoring and stimulation, diagnostic systems, drug delivery technologies, electronic monitoring systems, heart pumps and imaging technologies. He also has expertise in relation to nano-technology based devices, PCR equipment, robotic systems, sensing systems and ventilators.
Alistair also has experience in handling a wide range of matters relating to business methods and computer software, and as a result has experience in the limitations on obtaining protections for these forms of invention in many jurisdictions.
- Member: AusBiotech Limited
- Member: Brisbane Angels & AAAI
- Member: Chartered Institute of Patent Agents
- Member: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Member: Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: Rotary Club of Brisbane
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia, New Zealand, Europe and UK)
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)
- Master of Arts (Hons.), Natural Sciences (Physics), Cambridge University