Chris provides commercially focused advice relating to obtaining and enforcing intellectual property rights. He has particular expertise in patent law, and in the preparation of patent specifications, prosecution of patent applications, patent opposition proceedings, and patent validity and infringement analysis. Chris also conducts IP audits and due diligence investigations, and assists in patent litigation and mediation.
Chris has advised many different businesses, from a range of start-ups to multinationals, developing or selling products in various areas of technology. For example, in many areas of physics applications, electronics, electrochemical cells, microtechnology and nanotechnology, new materials, renewable energy systems and photo-voltaic devices, mining apparatus, and a range of mechanical devices. He has also worked on various imaging and control systems.
Chris’ Ph.D. research involved experimental research on developing a materials processing / semiconductor production system using plasma based deposition/etching. This included the design and construction of electronic, magnetic and optical diagnostic devices, radio-frequency electronic circuits, and developing analysis, modelling and control software. Chris’ research also involved producing and analysing thin films and energy transfer into a plasma.
Chris joined Davies Collison Cave in 1998.
- Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Member: The Law Society of New South Wales
- Member: Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member: Australian Institute of Physics
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Admitted: Lawyer of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Doctor of Philosophy (Physics), University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.), University of Western Australia
- Bachelor of Laws, Macquarie University
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Technology Sydney