David specialises in patent, design and copyright advice for electronics, computer software and communications products, with particular expertise in patents for Internet technology, telecommunications, financial systems, artificial intelligence and image processing technology.
He has considerable experience in patent drafting, patent oppositions and patent infringement, due diligence and freedom to operate advice. David lectured for many years on patent and copyright law and integrated circuit legislation for the University of Melbourne and Monash University. He was a member of the Australian Government’s Professional Standards Board for Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys from 2006 to 2012. He currently manages the patent practice of Davies Collison Cave and became partner in 1992.
David is an International Councillor of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA), and is the Co-Chair of the Patents Committee of APAA. David is also the President of APAA (Australia Group) Inc. He has worked as in-house counsel in London, UK.
David has over 30 years’ experience acting on behalf of large corporations, research institutes, universities and start-up companies, both in Australia and overseas. He has successfully handled many complex patent oppositions, and is adept at managing large patent portfolios. He acted in the first finding of infringement by a Court under semiconductor chip protection legislation. David has been invited to speak on intellectual property law for computer software and integrated circuit protection by a large number of organisations, including the Australian Patent Office, the Victorian Computer Law Society, the New South Wales Computer Law Society, the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand, the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys, IEEE, LAWASIA, ACLA and the Australian Bar Association. His articles have been published in a number of intellectual property journals.
David was a Senior Fellow of the University of Melbourne and taught in post graduate and undergraduate courses for the Law Faculties of the University of Melbourne and Monash University. He has also given lectures on intellectual property law for students of the Engineering Faculty of Swinburne University and the Science and Engineering Faculties of the University of Melbourne.
David was appointed by the Federal Government in 2006 to the Professional Standards Board for Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys. The Board is responsible for dealing with the qualifications for registration and professional conduct of Australian patent and trade mark attorneys.
- Managing Intellectual Property ‘IP Stars’: Ranked highly as an Australian ‘IP Star’, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019
- IAM Patent 1000 Guide: Recommended as a leading individual in patent prosecution, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Best Lawyers Australia: Ranked highly for Intellectual Property Law, 2014 – 2020
- AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers: Leading Lawyer for Intellectual Property, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Asia IP Experts: Leading lawyer in Patents, 2013; Leading lawyer in Patents and Copyright, 2015
- International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award: Intellectual Property in Australia, 2010
- Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- International Councillor: Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member: Association for Computer Machinery
- Member: Australian Computer Society
- Member: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Member: International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
- Member: International Technology Law Association
- Member: Society for Computers and Law
- Member: Victorian Society for Computers and the Law
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical & Electronic)(Hons.), University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Laws, Monash University
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Registered Patent and Trade Marks Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)