Gavin specialises in the drafting and prosecution of patent applications in the areas of molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, pharmaceuticals and research tools. Gavin provides strategic advice to clients in relation to their patent portfolios, advises on patent validity and infringement, and conducts patent oppositions. Having been awarded the University Medal Gavin completed his PhD at the CSIRO Division of Biomolecular Engineering in Sydney before taking up an NHMRC CJ Martin Postdoctoral Fellowship in the UK at the University of Oxford, Department of Biochemistry, working in the field of genetic recombination. After three years in Europe, including short stints at medical research centres in Japan and Norway, Gavin returned to Australia. He is the author of numerous research papers in peer-reviewed international journals and has contributed to texts in the fields of antibiotic resistance and molecular microbiology. He continues to lecture widely on biotechnology patenting issues. He has won numerous awards for his research, including the inaugural Australian Society for Microbiology Research Trust Award. Gavin joined Davies Collison Cave as a partner in 2006 having previously been a principal at another Australian IP firm.
Gavin manages the firms life science group in the Sydney office and represents many local and international clients in the protection of inventions in all aspects of biotechnology including: medical therapeutics and diagnostics; biochemical, genetic and molecular biological markers; microbiology; immunology; transgenic organisms; nutraceuticals and food supplements; and medical and molecular biological research methods.
Gavin also has expertise in matters relating to devices for use in medical treatment, diagnostics and molecular biology research, for example including ocular devices, drug-eluting stents and laboratory research devices and equipment.
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers: Leading Lawyer for IP, 2014 & 2015
- Committee Member: NSW Branch of AusBiotech Limited
- Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Member: Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member: AusBiotech Limited
- Member: Australian Society for Microbiology
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Member: Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) and University Medallist, Macquarie University
- Doctor of Philosophy (Molecular biology/biochemistry), Macquarie University
- Master of Industrial Property, University of Technology, Sydney
- Registered Patent and Trade Marks Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Graduate, Australian Institute of Company Directors