Ian has extensive experience in a wide range of contentious and non-contentious intellectual property law disputes and transactions, especially strategic intellectual property litigation. Lately his practice has had an emphasis on major patent litigation in the pharmaceutical and life science areas.
Ian is the immediate past Chairman of the Intellectual Property Committee of the Law Council of Australia, and is a member of numerous international, national and state committees as listed below.
- WHO’S WHO LEGAL Patents: Considered a “leading practitioner in patent litigation”, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Expert Guides: Patents: “IP Expert”, 2015
- WHO’S WHO LEGAL Life Sciences: Considered a “leading practitioner in the field”, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Asialaw Leading Lawyer: Listed as a leading lawyer Intellectual Property and Dispute Resolution and Litigation 2012, 2014, 2015 & 2018; listed as a Market Leading Lawyer for Intellectual Property and Dispute Resolution and Litigation 2016
- Managing Intellectual Property World Survey and Global Awards: Leading individual for Patents, Trade Marks and Copyright, 2014
- Asia IP Experts: A leading lawyer for litigation, patents, pharma and biotech, 2013. Leading lawyer for enforcement, copyright, patents, pharma and biotech, media and entertainment, 2015
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Ranked as one of Australia’s leading IP individuals, 2012, 2013, 2015. Listed as an elite leading lawyer 2016
- Doyle’s Directory: Listed as a Preeminent Leading Victorian Patent Litigation Lawyer, 2015 & 2016; recommended as a Leading Victorian Trade Mark lawyer, 2015; listed as a Leading Victorian Non-Contentious IP Lawyer, 2015, Preeminent ‘Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer’ 2015.
- Chamber & Partners Intellectual Property – Patents Australia: Ranked in Band 3, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
- IAM Patent 1000 Guide: Ranked Silver in the top 20 leading individuals in Litigation in Australia, 2012
- IAM Patent 1000 Guide: Recommended as a leading individual for patent litigation, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 & 2018
- Ranked in Legal Media Group Expert Guide, Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, Asia Law Leading Lawyers, 2011
- Best Lawyers, ranked highly amongst ‘Australia’s Top Lawyers’ in Intellectual Property and Biotechnology Law, 2008 to 2019, ‘Lawyer of the year’, 2017.
- Managing Intellectual Property ‘IP Stars’: Ranked highly as an Australian ‘IP Star’, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2019
- WIPR Leaders 2017
- Life Sciences – Lawyer of the Year – Australia – Lawyer Monthly – Legal Awards 2018
- Recent Past Chairman: Law Council of Australia, IP committee
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member: International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Member: Law Council of Australia
- Member: Law Institute of Victoria
- Accredited Mediator (LEADR: Lawyers Engaged in Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma (Commercial Law), Monash University
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney