Justin is involved in the prosecution of patents and registered designs, the drafting of patent specifications and patent oppositions, as well as providing advice on validity and patent infringement, with over 15 years experience in the patent attorney profession. In addition to regular patent attorney work, Justin also has experience in managing the firm’s overseas filings department, responsible for establishing foreign patent applications for local clients. He completed Engineering and Science degrees at the University of Melbourne where he was awarded a Dean of Engineering Scholarship. In the final year of his Engineering degree, Justin’s research and design projects were in the fields of energy conservation and utilisation and finite element analysis. In the Science faculty, he undertook computer science and a major in applied and industrial mathematics.
Justin is regularly a guest lecturer on the topic of intellectual property to engineering students at RMIT University, Melbourne and he is a Senior Fellow in the Faculty of Law at the University of Melbourne. He has also participated for a number of years as a judge in the Engineers Australia Excellence Awards.
Justin’s experience in the fields of automotive and marine engineering includes drafting and prosecution of patent applications in Australia and overseas for an extensive range of devices/processes, including a multi-speed automatic automotive transmission having adaptive control strategies, a double clutch transmission (DCT), an energy-efficient torque converter, conversions for providing wheelchair access to vehicles, vehicle stabilising and levelling systems, a hybrid marine drive and a braking system with improved pad wear characteristics.
He also has experience in obtaining, enforcing and advising on registered design rights in a range of areas including luggage, food packaging, adhesive containers and dispensers, swimwear, sport safety equipment, kitchen appliances, advertising trailers, vehicle body panels, electric vehicle components, light housings, plant pots, building brackets, underground water storage systems and tyre tread patterns.
In the area of medical devices, Justin has handled matters relating to mechanical retractors for upper body surgery, plastic surgery implements, and surgical retrieval devices. Within the dental field he has acted for clients in the areas of dental retaining appliances, devices for preventing airway obstruction during sleep, and hygiene shields for preventing cross contamination.
- Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Senior Fellow: Faculty of Law, University of Melbourne
- Member: Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: The Institution of Engineers Australia, Mechanical College
- Member: Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI)
- Member: Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)(Hons.), University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Science, University of Melbourne
- Master of Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)