Liz specialises in litigation, including actions for patent, trade mark, design and copyright infringement, passing off and misleading and deceptive conduct, as well as contractual disputes. She also advises clients in relation to these actions, on strategies to resolve disputes and negotiates settlements. The technological fields of her clients are very broad and range from beverages to medical devices to computer software programs.
Liz is very familiar with the litigation process, having represented clients in interlocutory and final hearings in many jurisdictions, including the Federal, Federal Magistrates and Full Federal Courts, the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, and the Supreme Courts in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland. Liz worked as a litigation lawyer in Queensland from 1996 until joining the Melbourne office of Davies Collison Cave Law in 2006. In 2014 Liz relocated back to Brisbane as part of the expansion of DCC’s IP litigation and commercialisation practice in Sydney and Brisbane.
Liz’s recent experience includes establishing reputation of a brand in Australia in circumstances in which the product was not yet sold in Australia; advising on parallel importation issues in respect of potential trade mark, design and copyright infringement, interference with contractual relations and misleading and deceptive conduct; an unjustified threats action under the Patents Act 1990 (Cth); defending a patent infringement action and establishing invalidity of the patent; several actions (both in and out of the Courts) for trade mark infringement; and litigating and resolving disputes regarding manufacturing and licence agreements.
- Doyle’s Guide: Recommended as a Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer – Brisbane, 2016
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Committee Member: Queensland Local Area Committee of Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: Queensland Law Society
- Member: Law Institute of Victoria
- Admitted: Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland, Federal and High Courts of Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Business German), University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne