Michael is responsible for the organic chemistry/pharmaceutical group where his professional activities include drafting and prosecuting patent applications, providing patent infringement and validity advice, conducting patent oppositions, providing support in patent litigation matters, filing and prosecuting patent term extensions and providing strategic patenting advice.
Michael joined Davies Collison Cave in 1996 after spending seven years with another large Melbourne patent firm. He became a partner of the firm in 1998. Prior to joining the firm Michael obtained research experience with ICI Australia Operations Pty Ltd where he worked on the synthesis of sheep defleecing agents. After completing his honours degree and a research project involving the synthesis of a marine steroid, he spent most of 1988 at the University of Melbourne working on the synthesis of anthraquinones before leaving research life and commencing a career as a Patent Attorney. While at the University of Melbourne, Michael won the Shell Exhibition prize for chemistry (1985), the Dow Chemical (Aust.) Ltd Scholarship in Chemistry (1985), and the Dixon Scholarship in Chemistry (1986).
Michael is Vice President of the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA), where he is also convenor of the Patents Legislation Committee. Michael is involved in overseeing the preparation of submissions to IP Australia and other Government bodies in relation to Australian patent law and practice. He also consults to IP Australia in his role as member of the Patents Consultation Group. His IPTA activities included the preparation and filing of submissions in respect of IP Australia’s patent law reform proposals which lead to the Intellectual Property Laws Amendment (Raising the Bar) Act 2012. Michael is also chair of the International Patents Group (CET-3) of FICPI.
- IAM Patent 1000 Guide: Leading individual in Patent prosecution, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
- Managing Intellectual Property ‘IP Stars’: Ranked highly as an Australian ‘IP Star’, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Managing Intellectual Property World Survey and Global Awards: Leading individual for Patents, 2014
- Asia IP Experts: Leading lawyer in Patents, 2015 and 2017
- Who’s Who Legal Patents: Australian Patent Attorney 2015, 2016 & 2017
- Global Health and Pharma – Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Awards: Best for Pharmaceutical Patent Law 2015 – Australia & Recognised Leader in Pharmaceutical IP Litigation
- AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers: listed as a leading lawyer for Intellectual Property, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Vice President, Convenor of Patents Legislation Committee and Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
- Member and Former Convenor: International Patents Committee of IPTA
- Member and Chair of International Patents Group of Study & Work Commission (CET-3): Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI)
- Member: Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member: IP Professional Forum of IP Australia
- Member: Patents Consultation Group, IP Australia
- Member: Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- Member: The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Past Member: Client Liaison Board of IPONZ
- Bachelor of Science (Organic Chemistry) (Hons.), University of Melbourne
- Registered Patent and Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand)