Paul leads DCCL’s Sydney patent litigation practice group.
Paul has extensive experience with respect to contentious patent matters and related aspects of Australian consumer and competition law. Recently Paul’s practice has involved major national and multi-jurisdictional patent litigation in the pharmaceutical, life sciences, and mining sectors.
Paul is supported by outstanding internal legal (DCCL) and technical (DCC) teams that work with clients to:
- initially ascertain the client’s commercial objectives;
- develop an agreed strategy best designed to achieve those objectives; and
- thereafter work within agreed legal costs budgets to achieve those agreed objectives.
Paul has particular expertise in relation to pharmaceutical patent litigation and has a detailed understanding of the operation of the ARTG and PBS. Paul’s experience in the pharmaceutical field includes handling matters in relation to various treatments for cancer, API particle size distribution, bone biology and osteoporosis, antibodies, and anti-viral medication. Paul’s further areas of particular expertise include in the mining and food technology industries. Paul has also had the conduct of matters in numerous other diverse fields ranging from nucleic acid diagnostics to injectable fillers for aesthetic procedures.
Paul practised in the litigation team at Clayton Utz before moving to Ashurst (Blake Dawson) in 2000. Paul was made a Senior Associate at Ashurst in 2004. Paul joined Wrays in 2009 where he was a Principal and Director of Wrays Lawyers. Paul joined DCC in 2014 as a Partner.
- Who’s Who Legal: Australia: Recognised as a leading Life Sciences lawyer: 2020
- IAM Patent 1000 Guide: Recommended as a leading Patent Litigation lawyer: 2016 – 2020
- Doyle’s Guide: Recommended as a leading Patent Litigation lawyer: 2014 – 2020
- Asialaw: Recommended as a leading Intellectual Property lawyer: 2018, 2019
- Member: IPSANZ
- Member: Law Society of WA
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia
- Master of Laws, University of Melbourne