Rodney De Boos
Rodney spent 13 years with the ICI Australia Group of Companies; including one year in the United Kingdom with Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd. He then ran his own commercial law practice for three years before merging his firm to form Davies Collison Cave Law.
Rodney’s major area of practice is the commercial exploitation of intellectual property rights. His practice includes the negotiation and preparation of commercial agreements, covering the full spectrum of intellectual property rights and transactions. Rodney has been a member of the Intellectual Property Committee of the Law Council of Australia and chaired the Committee from 1995 to 1996.
Rodney also practices in the trade practices (antitrust) area. He provides advice and has acted for both companies and individuals in prosecutions and in applications to the ACCC. He has been a member of the Trade Practices Committee of the Law Council of Australia since 1975 and was Deputy Chair of the Committee from 1984 to 1987.
Rodney has also lectured in intellectual property licensing at a post graduate level for many years and is an author of many published articles both in Australia and internationally, and is the author of the chapter on the exploitation of patents in the Law Book Company publication “Laws of Australia”.
In 1998, Rodney was the President of the Licensing Executives Society International which is the world’s largest association of licensing professionals. Subsequently Rodney was awarded the Society’s Gold Medal.
- Asia IP Experts: Leading Lawyer for patents, licensing and franchising, 2015
- Best Lawyers Australia: Ranked Highly for Intellectual Property Law, 2009 – 2019
- IAM Patent 1000 Guide “The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners”: Accredited as Australia’s luminary individual for licensing 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2019
- The International Who’s Who of Patent Lawyers: listed as a leading Patent Lawyer 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013
- IAM 250Guide: World’s Leading Patent & Technology Licensing Lawyers, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
- IAM 300 Guide: Word’s Leading IP Strategists, 2012
- Doyles Guide: Recommended Victorian intellectual property lawyer, 2012
- The Australian Financial Review ‘Australia’s Top Lawyers’ in Intellectual Property, 2012
- The International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers: Listed as a leading Trade Mark Lawyer, 2009, 2010 & 2018
- Licensing Executives Society International: Gold Medal, 1998
- Who’s Who Legal: Trademarks leading practitioner, 2018 & 2019
- Who’s Who Legal: Patents leading practitioner, 2018 & 2019
- Member: Australian Corporate Lawyers Association
- Member: Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member: Intellectual Property Society Australia and New Zealand
- Member: Law Council of Australia
- Member: Law Institute of Victoria
- Member: LEADR Association of Dispute Resolvers
- Member: Licensing Executives Society
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne
- Certified Licensing Professional