Design applications in Australia: requirements for filing
There are no forms in Australia that require the applicant's signature at the time of filing. No Power of Attorney is necessary, however a number of documents and particulars are required to process an application.
The following documents and particulars are needed:
- To enable us to complete the application form (which we prepare and sign): the applicant’s name and address and, in the case of a Convention application, the number(s), date(s) and country of filing of the basic application(s).
- The name of the product to be registered.
- Illustrations of the product. These can consist of drawings or photographs of the product. Five sets will be required. For fabric designs, fabric samples may be provided.
- The name of the designer(s). This information, although required prior to registration, can be given subsequent to filing.
- Certified copy of the basic application for Convention cases. While this does not need to be filed until specifically requested by the Designs Office, nevertheless it is preferred to file this as part of the basic filing procedure.